Sunday, November 13, 2011

1996 Emma

Just got done watching the 1996 version of Emma.

Firstly, let me express concern over what's going on with Ewan McGregor's hair. It was awkward and ill-fitting for him. Ewan McGregor usually looks good no matter what he's in but he just didn't fit in well in this movie at all. A lot of his non-Star Wars movies are actually pretty bad, and while this movie was good he was bad! lol

Secondly... I think I need to read the book again. I don't remember it nearly so well as I should. Emma was a very, very good book. It has what I think is the most romantic scene I have ever read, and the two characters were doing nothing more than walking side by side and talking. I think this version did a fairly good job of conveying that. I honestly can't review this version because I don't remember the book so well. I think it was a bit like the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice; you need to have read the book to really get it.

Mr. Knightly had eyes you could fall into, but I think he looked younger than he should have. Remember, he is supposed to be 37. I also think they made Harriet stupider than she should have been, too. Did they purposefully choose an actress with such a large body frame as compared to Gweneth Paltrow so as to show her as being of lesser station? Because a bigger frame means more oafish which equals simplicity of mind?

Of the 4 available versions this is supposed to be the best, or second best. There is a BBC variation I want to watch that is supposed to be good, better than the 1996 one. I have high hopes for it cause the BBC variation of Pride and Prejudice was so good, but we'll see. The hair in this one was pretty, if a bit lopsided at times. Costumes were good. They seem to have lost one of Mr. Martin's sisters, I was certain he had two of them.

One of my complaints is that they kept jumping, like, they had Emma say, "So I guess I'll say...." then it jumps to her when she's saying it for real. I also didn't like the commercial break cuts. I get it, they wanted to show when she jumps from idea to idea about men, but it didn't really work too well, I think. I also didn't like how Mrs. Elton talked directly to the camera as if to shove her character at us to make sure we got it.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, it wouldn't be good if you watched emma for ewan mcgregor. it's definitely a gwyneth paltrow flick. i think they had to make frank churchill act unlovable though, can't have the audience rooting for them, it's a regrettable hollywood tactic.

    ReplyDelete