I just watched the Directors Cut of 1408. I didn't watch it in it's entirety because I do not do bathrooms or mirrors. I covered my eyes whenever we were taken anywhere near a bathroom or mirror.
It's only been in the last year or two that I have been capable of going into a bathroom at night without either a curtain covering the mirror or the light on, door open in both cases, and regardless of curtains light on if door is shut. I am not about to go back to how I was just because horror films like to use bathrooms and mirrors. Anyway, my fear of mirrors and bathrooms asides this movie only had one bad bathroom scene (that I didn't watch but I heard, and from the sound of things it wasn't actually too horrible). It had a scene that was sort of like a mirror scene, only it kinda wasn't (person across the street, mimicking movements, attacker behind other person becomes real person behind character) and that made me cover my eyes as well. It did, however, have a mirror scene that I actually shrieked at. It was totally out of nowhere and I shrieked and then laughed and then cried. I hate mirrors. I really hate mirrors. I only have two mirrors at home, my little hand mirror for seeing the back of my head when I do my hair (which I keep in my hair toys crate), and my wall mirror which I do not hang but leave down and either facing the floor or the wall when I'm not using it. I hate mirrors. Also, while they make mention of a maid who stabbed her own eyes out while trapped in the bathroom (lovely! Two of the top three things I'm most scared of! Mirrors are 1st, then bathrooms, then eyes being gouged out), we never see her ghost or images of her or pictures or anything.
The movie was alright, I haven't read the book. I think the scariest part of the movie (other than the mirror) was the buildup. It was all about buildup, and while things did happen, the tension was worse than just about anything that did happen. Also, apparently there are two endings, which I didn't know till later, but that's why I specified that I watched the directors cut, to show which ending I got. I'm still a little creeped out and teary, but I'm alright. I also got the 1996 Emma to watch so I might do that in a bit here to help me calm down and relax. Today's hair washing day so I will have need to be alone in the bathroom later. Yes, I know nothing happened in the bathroom in this movie but I'm still going to be scared and probably try to go as fast as I can. I'm waiting till Timmy comes home before going in to do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment