Thursday, December 29, 2011

My First Sour Dough Hamburger Buns

I used this recipe, and I used the drop-down menu at the top to change the serving size from 8 to 4. Instead of trying to use half an egg I just used a whole one. *shrug* Little extra egginess never hurt anyone. I did not use freshly fed starter as the site I got all my sour dough info from says to use it after it's poofed some, but I realize why it wanted you to use freshly fed starter, it was because you let it sit for two hours. Mine sat for two hours and did nothing. I imagine a freshly fed starter would poof. Honestly I don't think it made much difference as my pictures will show you. I know the recipe talks about kitchen aids and bread makers, but you know what? You don't need all that fancy equipment. I stirred with my hands and I kneeded the dough about 5-7 minutes. Then I broke it into four pieces and shaped into rounds. To be cute for Victor's sake I carved Atari symbols into the tops.


Here they are freshly shaped, topped with peanut oil (cause my butter was hard and I didn't feel like waiting for it to soften up), and sesame seeds.

2 hours later.

I baked them for about 20-22 minutes. The recipe calls for 15-18 but my oven bakes slower than normal ones so I always have to add about 5-8 minutes to any baking time.

Here's one cut open. They rose too tall so next time I'll try making them flatter and shortening their raise time. I actually hadn't meant to let them raise for that long but I was busy playing Skyaward Sword and didn't get to making the hamburger patties till the 1 1/2 hour mark. Otherwise they were perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment