Monday, September 19, 2011

09/18/2011

I took Boney up on the roof and he was happy about it at first, bounded right up one side and down the other. But once he got to the other side he got a little scared. He's fine now, though.

I went up on the roof and took a picture of the guys.

Me and my mom.

After the roof was done we took down the two top-most boards and I got Victor to cut them for me and then I nailed them together into a square. Then I went out to gather some little rocks to use as an under-layer to stretch the mortar mix we'd bought.

While out looking for the rocks I found this. No one seems to know what it'll become. I set it free by some trees.

Here's my frame with the little rocks. There's a layer of plastic under it.

I used the marl clay you can get around here as a base. Then we mixed half the bag of mortar and I spread it across the top of the clay. Then I put my rocks in, using a level to get them all about even. Today I need to mix up the other half of the bag and use it in between the rocks, and if I get it built up high enough I can put more rocks in there. I apparently got a lot of really flat rocks and since I'm leveling them all to one of the taller ones I kept having to scrape up mortar to set the flat ones on. I also stacked some of the flat ones on top of each other to build it up a little. This is where the woodstove will sit. We had a mark on the ceiling for where the pipe will be so I used a tape measure and put one end on the mark and let the other end fall and where it hit the floor I drew an X on the plastic and then made the square equal lengths away from the X. The square is 44"x42". The rocks were gathered from the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment