Saturday, October 1, 2011

Spoiler-Free Book Review and More

And now a post just for "stuff"!

I've been taking walks the last two mornings out on the road in front of the house. I walk down to the corner and then back and up the hill a ways and then back and forth. It's been nice and I really hope I keep up with it. I haven't been out to do it today, yet, but I will after I post this. Yesterday I met with Boney as I was going up the hill and he flopped for me so I pet him for a few minutes and then kept walking. He was struggling to keep up, poor thing. When I turned and came back he flopped again so I picked him up and carried him all the way to the corner and then back and to the house. He was happy about that, purring merrily away the whole time and looking all around.

Yesterday before my walk one of the nose pieces on my glasses fell off. I was so lucky to find the screw, it's such a tiny little thing. I had to go borrow a screwdriver from Steven to fix it.

It's raining today, so today's general plan is to put up more drywall. I've been going so slow at it I'm beginning to wonder if I'll get it done before it starts snowing. At least if I don't the outside of the house is done and the woodstove is in and that was all that was really very important.

I also brought my vitamins over from the camper, finally, and have been taking those again too. A multivitamin, which I'm almost out of. Vitamin B to keep me sane. And Vitamin D cause it's said to help prevent the cancer our family tends to get.

I finished book 2 of A Song of Ice and Fire yesterday and started on book 3. I don't believe I've talked of this series before. I started reading it in the end of August. Wonderful series, very wonderful. Very engrossing. Very sad and depressing at times. At first I wondered if anything good ever happened to the good guys. Sometimes I still wonder that. It's very angsty. Very detailed. Bret, the boss at work, saw me reading it when I was covering for Zhaun in August and, at first he was excited cause he likes the series too, then he looked at me as though he wasn't sure I was old enough to be reading it. Melissa, you'll want to stay away from it, that's for sure. There's a lot of swearing, though tastefully done. There's bloody violence, very gory. It's said to have very realistic violence (at least IMDB says so about the tv show) and one scene made me taste bile it was so bad! (for those who've read/seen it and are curious, it was in the tv show when whatshisname gets a lance in the throat at the Hand's Tourney and you see blood pulsing out through his neck) There's also a lot of sex and nudity of all sorts. Everyone is backstabbing everyone else. So many bad things happen to everyone and no character is safe. Anyone can die (or be maimed), and it just happens. Bret says so too, he said I shouldn't get attached to anyone cause they all go at some point. eek! Despite that I have grown attached to a handful of characters. Dead, dying, going to die, or no, here they are, my favorite characters, after having read two of the books, are: Arya, Jon, Daenayres (sp?), and Tyrion. Yes, Tyrion! Who would have thunk. There's magic (pyromancers and wizards), mythical creatures (dragons, direwolves), and zombies. Each chapter is from the viewpoint of a different character and it's very well-written, you would almost think each chapter was actually written by a different person in order to get so many viewpoints. It's all very believable. And, as I said, it's just very engrossing, I wouldn't mind just curling up and doing nothing but reading till I was done. Overall, I do highly recommend this series to anyone who doesn't mind swearing, sex, violence, and drama. And maybe it seems I'm being a bit of a baby about it but I don't usually read things like this.

Well, anyway, it's October 1st, and I still don't quite know what to wear for Halloween. Either my pirate or my Jedi. My Jedi costume needs some work, as I broke my lightsaber last year. Don't think I'll be fixing it this year, so I'm probably going to wear my pirate costume. I just don't really want to go back to my old lightsaber. I might, though. We'll see.

I'm also a little distraught that the house isn't done yet. It could start snowing at any point in the next few weeks. I need to really get on the interior and get it done. It's going to take the next few days at least to get the upstairs drywall hung. Especially for the two triangular shaped walls. I'll have to measure them and plan and draw it out on paper, to figure out the best way to cut to prevent waste. I can't just go in cutting random sheets down and hoping I can use the leftovers somewhere.

Then after that's all done upstairs we can mud and tape, which will take another few days. After that it will be time to paint. And we'll have to let it dry a day and then paint a second coat. After that we have to do something about the floor. We have carpeting from the old house and we were going to use that but we've been talking and being iffy about if we really wanted to use it or not. I never really wanted carpeting but it was free so... I don't know. I don't even know what I'd do with it if I decided not to use it.

Then after the walls and floor are done we can move the bedframe and  boxspring in from outside and move the mattress upstairs. And bring in the dressers and nightstand. Then we can continue drywalling the downstairs, which is about half-done already. At my current speed of work it might be done by the end of October. Might.

We're also considering putting the toilet upstairs and keeping the bathtub downstairs. We were going to just haul the tub in every shower day. But this might be nicer. We'll see.

Well, it's 9:10 now and I'm still in my jamies! So I'm going to get dressed, put a pan of water on the stove for a shower (the stove-stove, it's too hot in here to light a fire in the woodstove) and while it's warming up I'll take my walk and when I get back it should be ready. Then after my shower I'll sit and read, maybe have some tea, while my hair dries and then get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment