Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cobblestone Stairs: Pt1

Working on the root cellar we have dug up numerous rocks. And we have a pathway that leads up a hill to my mom's house. So, I decided to make cobblestone stairs. This wasn't easy, as there are no instructions on how to make stairs like what I wanted. So I basically took instructions for making pathways and combined that with pictures of stairs. I'm using large rocks as a the edge of the step and along the one side. I am not using cement or mortar, I'm only using dirt. I might break down and use mortar of some kind later on if it starts cracking too much. Right now some individual rocks are shifting slightly but I believe that is because they're settling.After each step I do I'm going back and putting more dirt on the last step I did. I'm digging out roots and other rocks and then laying down dirt that's loose and putting the rocks in, filling in dirt as needed to keep the rocks upright. Then after they're all laid I take a 2x4 and hammer and leveling them out slightly. Then I dump more dirt on top, spread it out, stomp on it, and then I take a paintbrush and go over the rocks until they're clean. I've done three steps so far. After I am done with this project entirely I will make another entry that will show how I did it in pictures (pictures of each stage, dirt loosening, rocks being laid, 2x4, etc) and pictures of all my steps, but that entry will be a while in coming so for now I give you the first three steps:

Click to enlarge.

The path before clearing.

The path after clearing.

Some of my tools. I kneel on the cardboard.

The first step.

The second step.

The third step.

No comments:

Post a Comment