Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Disney's Star Wars



    Unfortunately they say that these new movies will be originals based on no books, which, yes, is a good thing in a way because they won't have a book they can mess up. However, this is bad because there is about 17 years worth of books here and I don't think anyone would be too happy about them writing all of that out of canon.

Found this picture on google, it was titled as being Mark Elwood's.

    The books and movies have, admittedly, crossed one another in the past. Anyone remember the Jedi Prince series? hahaha, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye? Isn't that still considered canon as a dream Luke had or something? I heard newer copies have him waking up at the end? (please confirm if anyone has such a copy as none of mine say it, though all I have is an original 1979 edition and one from, like, 2000 or something) You see, you just need to look at it as we're in the very far future. Remember, it was a long time ago. And archaeologists are uncovering more and more information. Imagine information we know now about our own Earth's history, and think back to, say, the early 1900s, a hundred years ago. What are the differences between history as we knew it then and as we know it now? And so the history of that galaxy far, far away is still being discovered. Certain things we used to think of as one way are close but not quite. For example, Boba Fett is in fact not Jaster Mereel, though he wears Jaster's armor and Jastor was basically his adoptive grandpa. See? We were close, but not quite.

Click to make larger so you can read the text.
    Any movie set in NJO time would have spoilers. What if it's set after Vector Prime? Star by Star? There are events in those books that I would hate to have spoiled for me due to the movies. Course I suppose people said the same thing when the prequels came out, which is what started the whole "should my kids see OT and then PT or PT and then OT?" debate. Which, btw, having had my own baby now I have to make a decision. I have no clue what I'm going to do, I really don't.


    Another concern are actors who don't take things seriously. I can see them running around like it's a big joke or Halloween going "I'm a Jedis look at my lifesaver!" and making Wookiee (oops, should I spell that "Wookie"?) calls and Vader breathing. Yeah, we get it. This isn't a game. It's serious. This isn't your 6-year-old's birthday party. It's for real. If you're going to do this do it with all your heart or get out. This is not a comedy. Also, very known actors should stay away. I'm talking to you Angalina Jolie and Nicholas Cage! I swear if either of them sign up I'm not seeing it.


    What if they pick Shia LaBeouf as Jacen for an Indiana Jones tie-in. omg I think I'd rather stab my own eyes out than see that. (for the unknowing, Jacen is Han's oldest son)


    Zac Efron, however, has my full permission to be Jacen. In fact, might I say that it was this thought that calmed me the most after the big news. Would they actually do it? Who knows. A girl can dream though, right?



    Another thing is funding. How will the costumes look? Will they be as carefully made as the rest of the movies costumes were? Or will they basically be cheap cotton, bedsheets basically, sewn into robes? Will the lightsabers obviously reveal sink pipe origins or will they look well made? I guess what I mean is, will this have the look of a fan film? Or will it look realistic? Will it look like anyone cares? Will it be rushed to give us more more more? Will they put as much effort into it as the other 6? Remember the first Land Before Time? It was awesome, wasn't it? Now there's, what, 12 of them? People stopped caring after the first few. And, remember, Disney is famous for its sequels. The first is a hit so they cram in another and it's not even 1/4 as good a the first. Very, very rarely do they manage to get out a sequel that's actually good! Will it be corny and stupid? Remember the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers? They'd totally kick the Samurai Warrior's butt (or at least Tommy could... single handedly...). And there's been how many generations of rangers now? I can't keep up. After Mighty Morphin there's only been one other generation that was actually good. (Galaxy! Cause they had the Magna Defender... teehee) I know people want more more more. And that's how we wound up with the Clone Wars cartoons which are horrendously bad. I can't believe they're still letting Filoni have his sick, sick way with Star Wars. Why? Cause we're greedy people who can't leave well enough alone!


    ...but one of the biggest worries I have is this. In the Empire of Dreams documentary George Lucas is saying that when he originally made ANH he was almost done when he realized it needed a soundtrack. Which is when he met John Williams. He says that if he had not chose John Williams he doesn't think the movie would have been as much of a success as if he'd used music from the day. But John Williams is 80. They want to make 3 more movies and then another movie every so often? He won't live forever, people, and Star Wars is not Star Wars without John Williams, so I dearly hope they've considered that.


No comments:

Post a Comment