Monday, November 12, 2012

*ahem* >_>

So my book reading is going nicely. I'm still struggling through Robots of Dawn. It finally started to pick up around page 80. I dunno, I just don't find it interesting to discuss various generally accepted meanings behind a word for 3 whole pages. Anyway, I know how it's going to work out, I just have no idea how it's going to take so long for the story to resolve seeing as I'm only 152/419 pages in. Possible spoilers ahead! Remember in KOTOR 1 when you're on Dantooine and you run into that woman who says her droid is missing and you find the droid and he tells you that the woman's husband died and he's the replacement? You have the choice of destroying him saying it's not healthy for her to be with a droid and she needs a human or you can make him go back to her. Yeah, I say this robot who was "killed" self destructed cause he didn't know how to follow the 3 robot rules. Should he bring her happiness by being there for her or is being there for her hurting her in the long-run? Boom, head explode. Mystery solved. Dunno, maybe it's just cause I played KOTOR 1 but I don't see why I figured it out and he didn't. Course I don't know, maybe there's more to it and I'm wrong. There has to be something that happens in the next 267 pages. And I just got done with the part that I figured it out from too.

 ...and in other news, I, ah... got curious and kinda started reading 50 Shades of Grey. ._. Don't judge me, I was curious! *whisper* ....I'm enjoying it... Ok, now you can judge me! But never fear! I'm not totally lost! I have not made it to the bdsm parts, and as I'm not into that I might stop reading then. But I had to give it a chance, right? So many women buying them up? I had to see what the fuss was about. But so far I like it in a "lame crappy fanfic" kinda way. And, yes, I know it started as a Twilight fanfic. It shows. I think, so far, this is one of those books you have to go into it expecting it to suck. I did and while it is better than I thought it would be (so far) it's still totally on a fanfiction level. Kinda like how Twilight is written as though it were a fanfic of itself, 50 Shades (so far) seems to be written in the same style of fanfictionery. I can't really explain what the difference is between a fanfic author and a real author but there is a definite difference. Or maybe the difference is in my mind, because I went into this knowing it was a fanfic. Dunno, though, cause Twilight struck me as being fanfictionous and it isn't. hm. So far I'm about to start chapter 9. Further review to follow after the freakshow starts! btw, fast read. I've been working on Robots of Dawn for like 2 weeks, but I just started this book last night. I do get the feeling my "this is better than I thought" remark will bite me in the next chapter or two cause it looks like the weirdness is about to start.

4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you haven't reacted to the Star Wars news! Disney bought out Lucasfilm and there will be Episodes 7, 8 and 9.

    Also, I'd like to recommend an amazing HBO show, Boardwalk Empire. It's not a typical gangster show, it's set in the 1920's in Atlantic City and is political, historical and a great drama with wonderfully complex and grey characters that constantly keep you guessing but always captivated. Judging by your reviews of books on here, I think you'd enjoy this type of show. There are three seasons so far, the third is just wrapping up now. The show might seem a little slow at first but keep with it, it's well worth it. Don't watch it with kids around though.

    I'm a long-time follower and fan of your starwarsdotcom website. When will it be updated? I suppose you're busy with the baby. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I was heartbroken about the Star Wars sale and I did start a post about it but never finished it. I guess I've more or less gone into denial and withdrawal over it. Maybe I will finish that post since you took an interest.

      My hbo viewing is done at the mercy of friends as I don't actually have it myself! I would for Game of Throwns, but they aren't available in my very rural area. But I'll keep that show in mind!

      Yes, caring for the baby has kept me busy, and other every day stuff too. I almost didn't renew my site in September and only did cause it was on sale and I have personal pictures on there I haven't transferred. My domain name renews in April, and that's pretty cheap. I dunno, though, I'm very doom and gloom about disney and I don't know if I have the heart to update for fear I'll be sick later over all the work I put in when I knew it'd be for naught. I feel sick right now just looking at my bookshelves and thinking about 15 years worth of books that might be destroyed by disney and how much money I spent on all of them. Also I've been trying to expand my horizons. I started about 12 years ago reading the books and have finally about 3 books away from the end of the NJO. But my husband kept reminding me that I read within a very limited area of books. Star Wars, Harry Potter, and the next Green Rider every 5 years when she finally releases a new one, and the odd misc book here and there. That is part of the idea behind my reviews is to encourage me to read non-Star Wars and non-Harry Potter books to try and broaden things. Anyway, I don't want to say I've turned from the fandom more that it's shifted into not as big a part of my life. I would love to update my site and maintain it and add everything I've wanted to add. And I believe if you go to various parts of the site you'll see that it's in about 3 different stages of complete overhauling. (the bottom link bar is where you notice it cause one will still have my The Useless Facts link, and one will just be the site links, and one will have google ads on it) I can't give a date or time when it'll update. If my Collection is available, which I don't remember if I ever connected that to the rest of the site, I might try and update my books soon as I want to catalog them anyway. That would be a fun project. I might not do it soon as I have undertook a gigantic crochet project that I really want to try and have finished in time for Christmas. So perhaps after Christmas look for a catalog of books to appear. And I believe where I left off before was working on Obi-Wan's "Appearances" so I might work on that more too sometime after Christmas.

      Delete
  2. I'd be interested in your full post if you have the time. Not to sound like a stalker (lol) but I do enjoy reading your input on SW and things when I get the chance to click on your journal page.

    I'm apprehensive about Disney buying out Lucasfilm myself. Will everything be disneyfied and dumbed down? Micky Mouse and Goofy flying the Falcon? I don't think they'd go that far...I mean Lucasfilm is still around, it's just Disney controls them. I think Disney would respect Lucasfilm though. Lucas did leave a woman he trusts and admires in charge and I don't think she'll let SW be ruined. Episodes 7, 8 and 9 will be based off of treatments Lucas himself made. Empire and Jedi did pretty well and they were written and directed by people other than Lucas! Lucas only came up with the general story ideas for Empire and Jedi and many people agree they are the best movies. So take heart, it may not be 'that' bad.

    I'm sorry if I forced you to dwell on this again. It's not my intention to make you feel bad. I'm just a fan who wondered what happened to your site. Thanks for all the details on what's been going on with it, I appreciate it.

    As for trying new things, Boardwalk Empire may not technically be a novel but it might as well be. It's like an extended movie more than a TV show. Trust me, I'm not a TV guy, I don't watch any TV shows (except the occasional sitcom or comedy). Boardwalk Empire is more like a novel with each season being another book. It's just so deep and covers so many characters and has so much historical depth. It doesn't glorify gangsters either, it shows them for what they are but the main character is half-politican half gangster so you're never sure about him. He runs Atlantic City like a benevolent despot. He's a dictator and he's corrupt but he does take care of his people and treats them good so it's morally ambiguous. He's no angel but he's not completely evil either. He's almost like Palpatine with a conscience. Really interesting character.

    You brought up Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire is like Game of Thrones in 1920's America. It's more modern and political but involves similar power grabs and scheming and the like. If you're looking to broaden your horizons and somehow get access to HBO, you might like it. I love Harry Potter, SW and Game of Thrones too so it seems like we have similar taste.

    Anyway, I wish you and your family the best. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry, I need this sort of encouragement. In fact I came on here now to take a look at the draft of that post to see what I'd written so far, and thought I'd respond to this first.

      Where I live there isn't even electric, we're on solar power. Wood heat. No cell service. The phone company runs up here, but it's just the local one. I've heard about hbo to watch on the computer (hbo go?) but when I looked into that it wanted me to select my provider and since all the big brands don't offer service up here I couldn't continue.

      Thank you for this chat, I like knowing there's people out there who like what I do.

      Wrote this with a sleeping baby on my chest! ...who is now crying, lol, maybe that post will wait a bit longer.

      Delete