Thursday, April 5, 2012

Review: Haunted

There were a handful of books sitting loose on the edges of the bookshelves so I put them away. All but one which caught my attention. Haunted, by James Herbert. I managed to read the whole thing in, like, 6-7 hours today and yesterday. So it was a really fast read. I'm still not sure if I actually liked it or not, though. The writing style was a little weird to get used to at first but once I adapted it was quick reading. It's a sort of present tense kind of writing, and very descriptive. The spoiler at the end was easily seen and I figured it out within the first 100 pages, to some extent. There was one side of it I didn't figure out but otherwise I got it right. The ending was a little too open. There should have been more closure, like an afterward. I mean, there was an afterward but it was miniscule and didn't show what I wanted to see. I wanted to see more of how the main characters move on.

Would I recommend it? Not sure. Maybe with the warning that the main spoiler is easily seen and that the ending isn't great.The biggest thing preventing me from giving this book a higher rating is the ending. It's too open. There needs to be an additional chapter, an afterward, like something that might happen a month later describing how everyone's doing, what they're up to. As is it leaves you to come to your own conclusions and ideals. If you don't mind that, yes, definitely look for it at the library. Otherwise only read if you can overlook that. I enjoyed it enough that I'm glad I read it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete