So I spent today and yesterday reading Wolf's Lady by Mary Butler. This is definitely one case where one must not judge the book by it's cover. At first I found it refreshing that it wasn't a typical romance (so far as the ones I've read go) and that there was much more story and plot than romance. But as the book wore on I got tired of it. Just get on with it already! I wanted to see some action or at least someone thinking about the topic. The cover promised it. The plot description on the back indicated that our lead female wanted nothing more than action. But yet she doesn't think anything of the sort. In fact we never see anything of interest in that regards. A few kisses finally happen in the last 50 pages or so and it's indicated more happens (after they run off for a quickie wedding), but it's all very business-like without any passion and apparently over the next few days/weeks their relationship becomes very old and they act like they've been married for years.
Other than a lack of passion if you can stand people looking at you askance (or with interest) for the steamy cover picture (false advertising!) it's not bad. If you go into it expecting a PG romance (or pg-13 for some parts) you won't be disappointed. It has a good plot, and is very interesting. But it's hardly a romance by first category.
The main spoiler is very obvious though, or maybe that's just me, and I had suspicions early on that were confirmed at the ball. I was wrong about one aspect but otherwise I was right.
I actually don't have a spoiler-full review. I've said all I think is necessary to be said.
No comments:
Post a Comment