Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Lightkeeper

I finished reading The Lightkeeper, by Susan Wiggs last week. It is about a man with a dark past who is a lightkeeper. He finds a shipwrecked pregnant woman who has her own past. I chose it because I realized I have a handful of her books and yet I've never read any. With another used booksale coming up in April I don't want to find myself picking any more up without knowing if I like her or not. So I picked the one I thought I'd like the least.

The non spoiler review is that it was good except for some fantasy aspects that made me giggle a little. Because you know that person, the one who talks about how she's supermom who always has time to cook, clean, do her hair and makeup, homeschool the kids, and has time to hang out with hubby and wonders why people are wasting precious time whining about how their baby isn't sleeping through the night since "it isn't hard, mine started at 6 weeks", but if you go their house it's a wreck, she's in sweats, hubby hasn't had any since before the baby was born, and dinner came from the frozen section? The author sounds like this person. Not really in a bad way but in a "roll your eyes and giggle" way. Also there's some parts that sound very convenient, but when you think about it it works and it all makes sense. I liked the interactions with the towns-people. I thought that was really well done. I also really liked how the book follows his and her perspectives, but if you picked up the book and, at random, flipped to any spot you'd know who's perspective you're in. It's subtle, but they have very distinct ways of thinking and narrating. So good job to Ms. Wiggs! Cause that's something I'm struggling with in my own (pathetic and slow) writing is the ability to make your characters sound like separate and individual people. Which is something she pulls off effortlessly.  Anyway, it was good. I liked it. Not my favorite romance novel, but not bad. I'm willing to give the other books a try, and I will go ahead and if I find myself getting more of her books at the booksale I'll go right on ahead and do so.

Spoiler review! The eyerolling part all has to do with the baby. So she has the baby, and then her milk comes in and she cries about for like 5 minutes, and then is handed a cold washcloth. Yes, a cold one. When I had this problem everything I read suggested a hot washcloth. But whatever, this takes place in 1870-something so maybe they had different ideas. And then he leaves the room for 5 more minutes, goes back in and she's somehow expressed enough to not only soak the bed but comfortably feed her baby! And after that she has no problems with it at all. She never has cracked nipples, she never has supply issues, she never has latch issues. And then, she loses ALL her baby weight and her stomach is "as though there had never been a baby there at all", which means no pouch, no sagging. And she apparently managed this in about 3-4 months just by puttering around the house. Her baby starts sleeping through the night at 2-3 months and she's so confident in this she leaves the baby with a neighbor one night! The baby lets them have sex without suddenly screaming half-way through. Also she starts doing it again at 6 weeks. Without pain or discomfort.
The convenient part is that she somehow wound up having the baby of this guy's ex-business partner. And then somehow wound up on his beach. Now this does make sense. Because this partner was looking for some lowly girl to have his baby, and she seems the sort that might draw attention. And it makes sense cause she took passage on one of his ships and it crashed at a place known for destroying ships. So it's not really too convenient cause it is all connected in a believable way.

I can't think of any good way to end this. I don't like the 5 star rating system. 3 sounds too low and 4 too high. Let's do a 10 point system. We'll go with 6 or 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment