Basically the author, who herself was a child at that time, interviewed a lot of people who were also about her age and compiled their stories as a collection of shorts, each followed by a "how the war affected me" and "what I'm up to now" page.
A lot of the details were sparse, but that's understandable as these are the memories of children who were 4-10 during the war. Not 5-10 as the beginning of the book claims, as at least one of the children was 4 and I think another was about to turn 4 or had just turned 4. And these memories had been blurred by lack of knowledge at the time, age, and trauma.
It is not written as sadly as I had imagined it would be. I think, to really feel each one, you should stop after each story and contemplate it.
My edition has a hand written note in the beginning, this book had at one point been given by a grandmother to her granddaughter, and she writes that she is giving it to her granddaughter to help her understand those times, and in the hopes that she'll try to help make sure no child has to suffer in her own lifetime.
No comments:
Post a Comment