Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Countess

I finished reading The Countess, by Catherine Coulter. According to the back of the book this book was apparently first published in the 70s under a different name and has now been updated and reedited. The story is set in the early 1800s, and it is that Andrea, who has been horribly scarred, emotionally, by her parent's failed marriage. To protect herself from the evils of men she marries an older man, so that she is not only socially correct by being married, but so she can be "safe" from advances by other men by throwing her marriage in front of her as a shield. However, she meets her husband's nephew, whom she starts to fall in love with. But do not mistake this for a romance. I thought this book would be somewhat of a romance but it wasn't. It was there, and there is a goodly portion of the book thrown in almost as an afterthought that features the romance, but it is not the sole focus of the book, and I'm ok with that. The focus of the book is that soon after she arrives at her husband's house she is threatened by someone who wants to kill her. She encounters a few different times when she is threatened and almost killed. Is it a ghost? Is it a person? The book is gothic, which was fun. For a good while when I was first reading it I thought it was comedic, as in a book making fun of gothic books. I either got used to it or it toned down because I didn't notice that as much as the book went on.

And that's about all I have to say on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment