Monday, September 1, 2014

More books

I've got two books to write about today. The first one is The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 18), by Greg Keyes. This is one of the better NJO books, I think. I enjoyed it a lot. A lot of awesome stuff (and some funny) happened in it, and it makes me sad that the rest of the series is packed away in storage where I can't get to them right now. Or I'd be reading those next. I'm this close to the end, finally. I've been reading the NJO for, probably, a good 7 years at least. I did take a break for a long time, though. But I'm so far behind on Star Wars books. After this I have the Dark Nest Trilogy (which I got for Christmas last year!) and then the Legacy series. It has occurred to me that I had best catch up as quick as I can before Episode VII comes out because I don't want spoilers for the books. o_0 I know that makes almost no sense, lol, but it's how I feel.

On to the second book, which was a gift from a friend: The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel, by Neil Gaiman. It's about a little boy, told from his point of view as an adult. Rather, it's about a man who sinks into memory. (see? I made a water joke!) It's about his adventures with a girl who lives, as the title says, at the end of the lane, and the magical powers she and her family have, and they wind up battling magical creatures. I wouldn't say it was spectacular, but it certainly wasn't bad either. I am glad I read it because it was entertaining. I liked the boy we follow, and I liked that he was an average kid. A lot of books that follow kids have them being better than the adults or somehow more mature or intelligent than they should be, they're given free passes. But this boy was a regular 7-year-old. I wouldn't say it has a happy ending, but it's not a sad one either. Kind of a thoughtful ending, I think. I liked the questions to make you think (or whatever they're called) at the end, like book group questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment