I didn't know it was the first of a trilogy when I started it. If I happen across the others I'll read them but I don't think I'll go out of my way to find them.
It is about a rich woman who, on the night of the Chicago fire, is visiting with her father to try and get out of the arranged marriage he's forced on her. A man, who is constantly called "crazed", is also on a mission that night, to kill her father. Instead he abducts her and holds her as hostage. Now maybe it's because I knew that the hostage situation was the setting for this romance but he didn't seem like a very scary captor. I had trouble believing the situation. Until they're really falling in love they seem to stick together because... why not? I do like that she tried to escape, though. Anyway, he takes her to his home, which is an island up north, where she learns why her father is hated (his mining company didn't bother with safety and an explosion killed a bunch of people and then he paid the judge to look the other way). She fits right in with the people who were so far below her just a week ago, and learns how to quilt and hang laundry and cook and other things, all of these things, like making beds, make her feel alive and happy. And then the lake ices over and she becomes stuck on the island with her captor who hasn't truly held her hostage in some time. There is also a plot about her fiancee having raped her, and this is not a spoiler because we find out in the first few pages. It doesn't tell us that but come on, anyone can figure it out. All the loose plot threads get tied up at the end, and rather nicely too.
I enjoyed it, anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment