A few weeks ago someone at Victor's work gave him a box of newspapers the were going to recycle so we could use them as fire starter. So I went through and pulled out all the comics and puzzles. Cause, yeah, I read the comics online at Go Comics but they just don't have all the ones I'd like to read daily, so it's fun to read the ones from the paper when I get the chance. And also, while I do have some puzzle books it's fun to do the paper puzzles sometimes. Plus I'm actually discovering I like sodoku! *gasp*
Anyway, my point is, I've been doing alright at crosswords. I am awful at crosswords normally. I think the only crosswords I've ever fully finished have been the ones Star Wars Insider used to publish. But I've been doing pretty good lately. I haven't finished one but I've gotten closer. My big deal with crosswords is that a lot of the time the normal word that most people would think of fits cause it has the right number of words. You might even get lucky and have a crossing word with a letter that fits perfectly with this new word you thought of. ...and then later you find that what was actually the right word is some obscure word only about 2% of the population has ever even heard of. Well, moving on. I've gotten some of these things right from reading fiction. And I don't mean from knowledge of the universe itself, I mean for some of the non-fiction details. For people who say "bleh you should be reading something educational", well guess what? There's been a few times I've sat there smirking to myself going, "Thank you, Harry Potter!" or "Thank you, 50 Shades!" or "Thank you, Neopets!" and etc. Cause without them I wouldn't have known these things. I didn't have to be in the real world for these things to sink into my memory. So they were fun to experience, and I learned something! Did it help me in the real world? Maybe not but I feel a lot better about myself for having gotten that crossword just a bit more finished.
And in other, slightly related news, I had started Sense and Sensibility as my night reading book but I decided that I was generally too tired at night to really enjoy it so I brought it downstairs to read during the day. (btw, expect me to simply compare book and movie when I get done reading it as I feel that a book that old and popular is impossible to truly review because I could not possibly say anything that has not been said a hundred times before) So last night I started reading National Geographic's Mysteries of the Ancient World. I'm only a few pages in but so far I really like it! It opens the imagination. I like the story telling way of writing it has. Like how the flashlights looked like torches, the guide had his hand up like he was making a carving, they stepped out into the cold winter day much like the ice age hunters might have, it was all very interesting. I can't wait to go to bed tonight so I can read some more!
No comments:
Post a Comment