Friday, July 27, 2012

I, Cleopatra

I finally finished reading I, Cleopatra by William Bostock yesterday. It took me longer than expected because of a few things. First I got caught up playing a video game, then I was down in town for work for a while. And I floundered some in the middle-ish when she's hanging out in Rome for what feels like forever.

Anyway, I actually really liked it. Apparently it's supposed to be pretty historically accurate (except for the childhood years, which the author notes he made up a lot of due to lack of info on that area of her life). It was written in the 70s though so who knows what we might have found since then. But either way, I enjoyed it. This one is recommended by me! Like I said up there, it held my interest very well and I zipped through the first bit in no time, then I got bored in the middle, then it picked up again. It is written in first person. Not really like a journal, but more like someone sitting there telling someone else their life story. Which was more or less the idea, since this "auto-biography" is her telling a scribe to write all this. The story starts with her birth and goes all the way up to where she's preparing for death. Then there's one more page after that written by someone else (in-story) that describes finding her after that. It is 749 pages, including the author's note.

One of the things that struck me most was the moral of the story: Men are worthless. :p If the men in her life had just shut up and obeyed her every whim she might have wound up being ruler of the world, lol. Or at least that's the idea I got from it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment