Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Silent Knight

The latest book I finished is Silent Knight, by Tori Phillips. I got it because I had read another of her books and apparently she wrote a series. Curious about the series, and because the first one I read was good, I got this one. The other book of hers I'd read is Midsummer's Knight. Silent Knight follows the brother of the guy from Midsummer's Knight and takes place before it.

I am glad I read it. It was predictable, and kinda cliche. Very typical romance novel. I'd rate it R for language and suggestions. It was enjoyable and I'm glad I bought it. I will continue to keep an eye out for more books by this author!

Oh, I suppose I should write what it's about. An unwanted and mistreated French girl is being married off to an English man in the far north. Through many trials and wrong turns she stumbles upon a monastery where the monks take pity on her and send one of their own to guide her the rest of the way north. This monk, Guy, is new to the order and has not yet taken his vows. The Father in charge doesn't think he is right for a monk life and sent him on this quest to help him realize that. Before sending Guy off he makes him take a vow of silence. And Guy keeps his word, haha, I made a pun. Anyway, Guy keeps his word and is silent for a good part of the book. Celeste, the French girl, doesn't know that the man she is set to marry is a classic bad guy. Guy does and wants to find a way to help her. As they travel they fall in love. Guy is torn because he'd decided on a monk's life, Celeste is torn because she doesn't know he hasn't completed his vows yet and because she's promised to another.

The only thing I think I have to complain about is that we never see Aunt Marguerite after the beginning. She breaks a leg in the beginning of the book, which is why they wind up at the monastery. Aunt Marguerite was traveling with Celeste until then, but was left behind to heal. And then we never see her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment