Thursday, October 18, 2012

free stuff

I was cleaning up my bookshelves to make more room for stuff and I have a pile of books I'm going to get rid of. If you want something send me a message or something and I'll get it to you. Whatever you guys don't want I'm going to donate. This post is for friends and family only cause you guys are the only ones I'm willing to give free stuff to. Any random stranger happens on this post and wants something I'd be happy to make an ebay sale.

"The Girl She Used to Be", by David Cristofano
Amazon says: When Melody Grace McCartney was six years old, she and her parents witnessed an act of violence so brutal that it changed their lives forever. The federal government lured them into the Witness Protection Program with the promise of safety, and they went gratefully. But the program took Melody's name, her home, her innocence, and, ultimately, her family. She's been May Adams, Karen Smith, Anne Johnson, and countless others--everyone but the one person she longs to be: herself. So when the feds spirit her off to begin yet another new life in another town, she's stunned when a man confronts her and calls her by her real name. Jonathan Bovaro, the mafioso sent to hunt her down, knows her, the real her, and it's a dangerous thrill that Melody can't resist. He's insistent that she's just a pawn in the government's war against the Bovaro family. But can she trust her life and her identity to this vicious stranger whose acts of violence are legendary?

I say: The book starts with the main character in a teaching position and she is grading students by their personality and life, not by their actual schoolwork. The main character likes to create problems so she can whine about them. Yes, something bad did happen in her life. But she doesn't need to keep making it worse for the sake of spending pages and pages whining about what she's done. The "romance" in this book is stressed and unrealistic. If they had called the romance lust or infatuation, sure, I could buy it. Even if you'd called it lonely desperation on her part and stalkerism on his, that'd be fine. And for someone who goes on and on about her inexperience the main character throws herself around like she's used to this, or at least like she would never have really made it to 26 without a guy in her life. The ending is disappointing and would have been different had she not made another problem. The book also seems to glorify crime and the luxery it can afford while showing us how cheap and stupid the government is. And the main character gets sucked right into that and overnight justifies the violence it comes with and encourages it. However, if you read it without thinking too hard about things you should be good. I actually enjoyed it a lot and it was a fast read, cause I didn't pause to think about things too much. I think if the ending had been different I might have kept it.

"Gone", by Jonathan Kellerman
Amazon says: It’s a story tailor-made for the nightly news: Dylan Meserve and Michaela Brand, young lovers and fellow acting students, vanish on the way home from a rehearsal. Three days later, the two of them are found in the remote mountains of Malibu -battered and terrified after a harrowing ordeal at the hands of a sadistic abductor. The details of the nightmarish event are shocking and brutal: The couple was carjacked at gunpoint by a masked assailant and subjected to a horrific regimen of confinement, starvation and assault. But before long, doubts arise about the couple’s story, and as forensic details unfold, the abduction is exposed as a hoax. Charged as criminals themselves, the aspiring actors claim emotional problems, and the court orders psychological evaluation for both. Michaela is examined by Alex Delaware, who finds that her claims of depression and stress ring true enough. But they don’t explain her lies, and Alex is certain that there are hidden layers in this sordid psychodrama that even he hasn’t been able to penetrate. Nevertheless, the case is closed–only to be violently reopened when Michaela is savagely murdered. When the police look for Dylan, they find that he’s gone. Is he the killer or a victim himself? Casting their dragnet into the murkiest corners of L.A., Delaware and Sturgis unearth more questions than answers–including a host of eerily identical killings. What really happened to the couple who cried wolf? And what bizarre and brutal epidemic is infecting the city with terror, madness, and sudden, twisted death?

I say: I don't really read mystery novels, so I can't really judge it on that. Apparently this is part of a series, which I didn't know when I got it because the book has very little indication that it's part of a series. The amazon description shows more of that than the actual book does. Anyway, the main problem I had with this book is that there's too much description. No real person enters a room and instantly recognizes the brand and style of every piece of furniture, for instance. Yet this guy is a home dec and fashion genius and spends pages telling us every detail of everything he sees. Also the author seems to think everyone knows the streets of LA and rambles off street names like we're supposed to know what that means. Overall though, it's not bad. Like I said, I'm not really into mystery.

"Tears of the Moon", by Di Morrissey
Amazon says: Not since The Thorn Birds has the lush and romantic land of Australia been brought so vividly to life. Tears of the Moon is the thrilling and dramatic story of an endless love that overcomes all odds. Lily Barton's most prized possession is a beautiful tear-drop pearl pendant. Alone in the world, she has no idea where it came from or why she has it. But she is desperate to learn more of her forgotten past, to find her identity and claim her legacy, whatever it might be. Seeking everwhere for answers, she discovers her great-grandmother Olivia's diary. Across the years it reaches out to her, revealing the truth behind a love that is so profound, so passionate and so complete, that nothing can destroy the power of its magic.

I say: It takes place in Australia, which was interesting since I actually didn't really know a lot about it before. This is more for older women, I think. The main character floats through life making friends wherever she goes. She also somehow looks native, yet doesn't guess she is, and when she finds out she's part native she gets angsty about it. ...doesn't seem to bother her she's only 1/5th native. I think that's how the math works. It's her great-great-great grandma who was native. Hardly anything to get angsty about as if it is something that's going to change your entire life. It was a neat history though, and though there's just too many coincidences to be real, it was a decent book. I really had to think about if I wanted to be rid of it or not, but I think I do. As for the love story itself, eh, it's not bad. It's more of a crushing from a distance till we're old people kind of love story.

"The Lost World", by Michael Crichton
I think we all know what this is. The 2nd Jurassic Park movie. I'm only getting rid of this cause I seem to have 2 copies somehow. Also I linked to this one cause it's the cover variant I have.

"The Outlaws of Sherwood", by Robin McKinley
Amazon says: The classic tale of Robin Hood gets a new lift as real flesh-and-blood outlaws, on the lam from the gallows and the sword, fight for the sake of justice. Robin and his merry cohorts swing through the forest in these fresh additions to the timeless stories

I say: Again, linked to this one cause it's the cover I have. It's been about 3 years since I read it so I don't remember it too well. I do remember it was a struggle to get through cause I didn't like the writing style. The ending was also kinda lame.

"River God", by Wilber Smith
Amazon says: For Tanus, the fair-haired young lion of a warrior, the gods have decreed that he will lead Egypt's army in a bold attempt to reunite the Kingdom's shared halves. But Tanus will have to defy the same gods to attain the reward they have forbidden him, an object more prized than battle's glory: possession of the Lady Lostris, a rare beauty with skin the color of oiled ceder--destined for the adoration of a nation, and the love of one extraordinary man.

I say: Take this book if you want an ok story and a good laugh. The main character is the best at everything. He's either THE best in all of Egypt or he's among the top 3 but considers himself the best anyway. Yet he's a slave. But not just any slave. He's the absolute best. I mean, if you want to look up Marty Stu all of his characteristics are to be found here. It's almost as if the author did it on purpose as a joke, except I think he was serious and that's sad. The only thing lacking is that he's not related to anyone famous and doesn't get with anyone famous. But if you ignore Marty Stu it's not really too bad, but unfortunately the story is told from his perspective.

"Shadow Walkers", by Nina Romberg
Amazon says: A group of runaway children seeks shelter in an abandoned mental hospital, where they form a secret club to protect the innocent, but the possessed building tranforms the children into beasts, bringing out their darkest instincts.

I say: Sounds good, right? Well this is one crazy book. It somehow manages to merge nazism and native american stuff into one big mystic ghost story. The kids find a room with old war memorabilia and it takes over the boys with "bad feelings" that are stored inside the items, and this makes them, well, nazis I guess and they start persecuting the girls or something and there's an Indian woman nearby who uses her magic to help them. There are also numerous plugs for the author's first book about the Indian woman.


2 comments:

  1. I would be interested in reading Gone and River God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. River God had an accident. I had brought in some snow to melt for washing my hair in (makes it so soft) and it got knocked into it. (the robin hood book went in too) It's still drying so I can let you know, probably tomorrow, if it's still readable. It's definitely not in great shape anymore. If you still want it I'll mail it. Or if you want to see a picture of it first I can do that. That might be best.

    I'll send Gone (and river god if you want) on Thursday (or Friday, depending if my husband remembers to do it). Can you email me your address again?

    ReplyDelete